Thursday, November 12, 2015

Journey to Become a Drummer

To be a drummer is one of my dream, When I was a little boy, I see a drummer on my church and I think that he is awesome. I said to myself that one day I should be a drummer. Few years had passed and there is no opportunity or me, even just to touch a the drum. I has forget my childhood dream to become a drummer. However, God has a different plan for me. In 2005, my church open a regeneration program for the musician and I join it, but I join with the guitarist's group. I join it for few weeks, but I didn't feel good in playing guitar because my fingers are still too short and I cannot hold the chord well. I was transferred to the drummer's group where for the first time I touch a drum! I learn some basic rhythm to play drum such as 4/4 and 3/4. I also learn some basic sticking skill such as single stroke, double stroke, paradiddle, etc. Finally, I could play some simple songs.
While learning, my teacher recommend me to start my service on Sunday School. If I am not mistaken, it was in 2009 when I start my ministry as a drummer on my Sunday School. I keep playing and stop learning because my teacher should move to Jakarta. However, it was not a big problem for me. With the lessons that I have learned and individual practice everyday, I can keep playing drum. I also hear many songs to learn the arrangement of certain songs. I feel bored with my Sunday School service (although I know that it was not right) and I want to increase my capacity. I desired to serve in the Sunday Service but, I didn't brave enough to nominate myself as a drummer in the Sunday Service. I thought that my skill is still far below the skill of those who already start playing in the Sunday Service. I just buried my desire and try to be faithful with the ministry that God has given to me.
In 2012, I already can be regarded as a senior drummer in my Sunday School. I was appointed to play at the Christmas Celebration of my Sunday School. Fortuitously, the arranger was one of the pianist that play in Sunday Service. At that time, I didn't think anything. I just think to give out my best. Precisely on March 2013, that pianist call me to serve in Sunday Service. I was very happy, and I directly say yes to his offer, but I try not to leave my ministry in Sunday School. I start again as a junior, because the genre of music that was played in Sunday School and Sunday Service was completely different. I learn much from my seniors.
As the time goes on, I didn't join Sunday School anymore and I trust my ministry to the junior drummer there so there could be a regeneration. I'm focus to my ministry on the Sunday Service. At first, I made many mistakes in my playing, but my seniors always support me and teach me how to play it well. Finally, now, I can play much better than the first time I play it. Until now, I still can't be said perfect, although my seniors can't. We all are still learning to give the best in our ministry.

No comments:

Post a Comment